Port of Poulsbo operates a first-class destination marina, the Poulsbo Marina, for both recreational and commercial vessels. Its popular mountain views are surrounded by numerous recreational opportunities; and natural, historic, scenic, cultural and dining pleasures. Separated from the main body of Puget Sound through a narrow passage, it is indeed a safe harbor in a storm and is protected from the gales associated with this area.
The Port of Poulsbo includes an active waterfront area located in the center of Poulsbo’s commercial zone with fine restaurants, unique shopping areas, antique stores, the Marine Science Center, historic walking tours and waterfront trails. You can walk along the boardwalk on Liberty Bay and listen to the sound of seagulls, breathe in the fresh marine air, catch a glimpse of the Olympic Mountains, and watch the abundance of wildlife in and around beautiful Liberty Bay. The boardwalk leads to an undisturbed park conservation area with native flora and fauna, a bird sanctuary, walking paths and picnic areas with room for all to enjoy.
MISSION AND VALUES
The mission of the Port of Poulsbo is to responsibly pursue economic and community development, promote public access and improve the district for its citizens and the greater community.
Maintenance of the historical character of Poulsbo
Recognition of the importance of the relationship between an active working port and the City of Poulsbo
Commitment to open and honest public disclosure and community involvement
The beautiful landscape around the current day port district and Poulsbo community was exposed to the last glacial retreat about 12,000 years ago. Poulsbo is in the heartland of the Suquamish People, who have lived in Puget Sound for thousands of years. Suquamish ancestors occupied villages and camps on the Liberty Bay shoreline over the past 5,000 years. Suquamish elders recall eight place names within Poulsbo that attest to clamming, fishing, hunting, and religious activities, including a reference to an important spiritual place in the Poulsbo Marina vicinity. Suquamish People provided early Euro-American settlers fish and other food, as well as introduced them to the rich maritime bounty of fish and shellfish in Liberty Bay, including processing dogfish for oil. Suquamish tribal members worked as fishermen and loggers in early commercial enterprises and contributed to the economic development of the region.
Immigrants with a strong Norwegian influence first moved into the area in the later 1800’s and logging was the predominant early industry. Production of oil from processing local sand sharks or “dogfish”, gave us the name of Dogfish Bay. Travel on the bay, to Port Madison and Seattle, was largely by rowboat. Routine steamer service started in 1885 and the first town wharf was built in 1894. The early 1900’s saw the start of Poulsbo’s commercial fishing heritage, a cod processing plant, and the unofficial but permanent adoption of the name Liberty Bay. The town continued to grow, with the bay home to oyster harvesting, commercial fishing boats, ferries and the “mosquito fleet” providing transport to Seattle and other ports.
The district of the Port of Poulsbo was formed in 1951. Since then, the marina has grown to include 7 main docks with 253 permanent slips, 130 transient slips and 15 boathouses. Marina features include: water and power utilities; a seaplane base; kayak and canoe rentals; “tour boat” moorage; diesel and gasoline fuel facility; sanitation pump outs; laundry, restroom and shower facilities; launch ramp; and dedicated parking spaces. The port additionally owns an offsite parking lot on Jensen Way, complete with electric vehicle charging stations.